Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We're back!

Back to blogging, that is, after an unplanned hiatus brought on by a distinct lack of blog-worthy happenings in our life. I've also discovered that, because I write for a living, writing is often the last thing I want to do when I come home at night. But I vow to be better, to those of you - if any? - who still have enough faith to keep checking in.

Anyway, we just returned from a road trip to Ottawa, Canada, where we went with my family to celebrate my Aunt Maureen's 70th birthday. Bob and I drove up with my mom, while my sister and her family drove up together. Here are some photos of the trip:

Bob attempting to fit in with the locals.




A cat on Parliament Hill. I know, I know... I just can't seem to help myself.


Like the cat, this falls under the "animals we have here at home but still felt the need to photograph while in Canada" file. A woodchuck - otherwise known as a groundhog, marmot and (inexplicably) whistlepig - forages outside of Parliament. Even though our neighborhood is crawling with these guys, ours won't let us get within 20 feet. This guy let me get close enough to touch him (I didn't). It was quite a big moment for me.





Out on the town, watching the chef perform at a hibachi restaurant.



Maureen and Jean Paul celebrate her birthday hibachi-style.


Mom and Maureen




A fabulous spider sculpture by Louise Bourgeois named "Maman" stands guard outside Ottawa's art museum. Her belly is filled with large eggs made of solid white marble.

A super creepy sculpture in downtown Ottawa called "Nature Girls" that curiously purports to depict "the innocent joy of girls playing in the wood, and the bleakness of children gone missing." It's what I like to call an "all-around" sculpture.


This is "Bush Girl."

Bob proves there's truth in advertising.






The War Memorial and Chateau Laurier at twilight.





Parliament at night.




Natives take to the streets. Mothers, lock up your daughters.

1 comment:

BrookeWalsh said...

Umm ... Canada looks weird.

Glad your back. I miss you.