Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not so crafty

Anyone who knows me knows I am not what you would call a "crafty" person. In fact, I would rather poke my eyes out with a hot glue gun than step foot in a scrapbook or stamping store, and I would sooner stab myself with knitting needles than spend a day at Michael's or Joanne Fabrics.

But then I saw this:


(Photos courtesy of Mochimochi Land)

And this:



And this:

And I suddenly felt it, that thing that crafty women who love things like Kewpie dolls and appliques must feel – the unstoppable squeal of adorableness coming up my throat like vomit as I realized: I...want...to...make...these.

So I went to (gulp) Michael's and bought myself some knitting needles, yarn, and a book on how to knit. Now I have this:



Hmmmm.

I suppose it could possibly be fashioned into a scarf for Peanut.




Or not.

Then I found out those cute little creatures, called amigurumi, are not knitted. They are crocheted.

Realizing this is a slippery slope leading straight to the Bedazzler, I've decided to hold off on learning to crochet and see if the urge passes. My fingers are crossed.

1 comment:

BrookeWalsh said...

This is good. Now I do not have to feel embarrassed to admit that I got a nice set of knitting needles for Christmas and have been knitting up a storm since. Well, more like a drizzle (an apple shaped hat for a to-be-born friend and pants for Truman). To quell your knitting needs, here are some links to patterns for knitting. Here's a cute little kitty: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTkate.html. And a link to the free pattern directory: http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/toys.php.

We can be old ladies together!