Sunday, February 15, 2009

In the field

One of my New Year's resolutions was to improve my photography skills, so I recently took a one-day class on nature photography taught by our friend Dan, who now has his own business. Part of the class was spent in the field where I worked on my macro (close-up) photography, even though I don't yet have a macro lens. Thus, it's really poor man's macro.

And when I say we spent time in the field, I mean an actual field, where there was very little to photograph but snow and branches.

Anyway, here are a couple of the (unedited) shots I took that day:


I kind of like the above photo because, even though it's dark, it looks like it could have been taken underwater. It kind of looks like glowing sea urchins.

This next one is a little drab, but hey - it was January in Minnesota. There wasn't a lot of color out there.


I just thought this tiny field pod was cute and begging to be photographed:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the first one because of the way the pods appear at different angles, highlighting variety in the single-light-source still life. It explores the texture of the pods well. The top, right-hand corner pod is ridged in its well-lit state, while its opposing pod, in the bottom left corner, looks softer -- more mysterious -- in its rich darkness and spotted highlight.

Kristin said...

Lovely photos. My favorite, of course, is the cute little pod sitting by himself in the snow.